You know what’s the worst?
Old people with cell phones in theaters.
Because they’re going deaf, so their ringer is on loud.
And they’re old so they don’t know how to turn the sound off.
Or they just forget that cell phones are a thing.
And then their phone rings during a show, and they don’t realize it’s their damn phone, because they’re old and deaf and don’t know that the obnoxiously loud ringing is coming from their own effing pocket.
And so their phone just rings and rings.
And then in scene 3 it rings again.
Let’s not forget to acknowledge Alexandre Dumas this Black History Month
The writer of two of the most well known stories worldwide, The Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo was a black man.
Let’s not forget that he was played on screen by a white man. And the fact that he was black is barely ever mentioned or the book he wrote inspired by his experiences.
Other things not to forget about Alexandre Dumas:
- chose to take on his slave grandmother’s last name, Dumas, like his father did before him.
- grew up too poor for formal education, so was largely self-taught, including becoming a prolific reader, multilingual, well-travelled, and a foodie, resulting in his writing both a combination encyclopedia/cookbook (which just— is fucking outrageous to me) AND the adaptation of The Nutcracker on which Tchaikovsky based his ballet
- he also wrote a LOOOOT of nonfiction and fiction about history, politics, and revolution, bc he was pro-monarchy, but a radical cuss, and that got him in a lot of hot water at home and abroad.
- even beyond that, he generally put up with a lot of racist bullshit in France, so he went and wrote a novel about colonialism and a BLATANTLY self-insert anti-slavery vigilante hero (which he then cribbed from to write the Count of Monte Cristo, the main character of which, Edmond Dantés, Dumas also based on himself).
- (…a novel which also features a LOAD of PoC beyond the Count, and at LEAST one queer character, btw, bc EVERY MOVIE ADAPTATION OF ANYTHING BY DUMAS IS A LIE; seriously, at LEAST one of the four Musketeers is Black, y’all.)
- famously, when some fuckshit or other wanted to come at Dumas with some anti-Black foolishness, Dumas replied, “My father was a mulatto, my grandfather was a Negro, and my great-grandfather a monkey. You see, Sir, my family starts where yours ends.”
- for the bicentennial of his birthday, Pres. Jacques Cirac was like, “…sorry about the hella racism,” and had Dumas’s ashes reinterred at the Panthéon of Paris, bc if you’re gonna keep the corpses of the cream of the crop all together, Dumas’s more widely read and translated than literally everybody else.
- and they are still finding stuff old dude wrote, seriously; like discovering “lost” works as recently as 2002, publishing stuff for the first time as recently as 2005.
This is IMPORTANT!
WHAT THE FUCK I HAD NO IDEA HE WAS BLACK.
I HAVE READ THREE MUSKETEERS AND COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO.
HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS.
HE IS SO MUCH FUCKING COOLER THAN I THOUGHT.
MY MIND IS BLOWNNNNN.
When mundane everyday tasks become insurmountable blocking obstacles.
Please use this 100% real and functioning iphone exactly identical in every way to the phone you use every day in your personal life and take a picture with the flash on. You don’t even have to turn the flash on yourself, we’ll preset with the flash turned on. You just have to open the camera app and take the picture.
What are you doing.
Please, if you value realism so much in your acting, why are you batting like a kitten at the screen of the iphone.
This will accomplish nothing.
My cousin’s 2 year old knows how to take a picture on an iphone, why is this so difficult??
No, don’t mime it, ACTUALLY DO IT. PUSH THE BUTTON ON THE PHONE. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO WE CANNOT REMOTELY MAKE THE PHONE FLASH USING THE LIGHT BOARD (?!!?!)
never mind. we’ll just cut the line about the flash.
Madness and greatness were two sides of the same coin and every time a new Targaryen was born, the gods would toss the coin in the air and the world would hold its breath to see how it would land.
Every time I see a Heath-Ledger-from-A-Knights-Tale-as-Rhaegar-Targaryen fancast gif thing a little part of me dies because he would have been SO FUCKING PERFECT.
(Source: superbmarksman, via winteriscoming-eventually)